Furthermore, the Austrian Chamber of Agriculture is responsible for:
- Submission of proposals and expert opinions to authorities, especially in draft legislation and regulations, and consultation with officials
- Delegation of representatives to organizations and recommendations for positions
- Promoting collaboration among the various regional chambers of agriculture as well as relations with the agricultural cooperative sector
- Establishment of advanced training centres for chamber members and employees of cooperatives
- Organization of common events
- Assuming administrative tasks which the government delegates to the regions (e.g. the formal processing of supportive measures)
- Collaboration with organizations representing the agribusiness and forestry sectors of other countries
On the one hand, the Austrian Chamber of Agriculture looks after legal matters that affect all regions equally such as taxation and social security. This includes those additional activities that Austria's membership in the European Union requires the federal regions to maintain.
On the other hand, the Austrian Chamber of Agriculture coordinates those tasks where the regional chambers and their members have common interests, such as protecting the natural landscape, the sale and registration of property, agricultural training, animal husbandry regulations and environmental protection.
As laid down by federal law, the Austrian Chamber of Agriculture examines and assesses all draft regulations, a right which is put into practise up to 200 times annually.
Political Representation of the Austrian Chamber of Agriculture The professional political representation of chamber members is based on democratic elections. The various political parties or party organizations offer a range of choice to the electors. Chamber members are chosen through democratic elections and serve for terms that vary in length according to local laws.
Effective representation of agricultural interests requires liaison with political parties and their deputies to ensure that legislation best serves the interest of farmers.